WHAT’S NEW (July 1st, 2018)
- 317 video lessons in total
(Beginner Membership, 6-Month Membership , 1-Year Membership)
- How to Read a Lead Sheet for Jazz Piano
(Video Lesson, Sheet Music)
- Basic Jazz Voicings – Solo Piano
(Video Lesson, Sheet Music)
- Syncopation in Jazz
(Video Lesson, Sheet Music)
1. Lessons area, Practice Plans & How to Get Started
Monthly Beginner Course Lessons
Monthly Intermediate Course Lessons
6 Month Membership Lessons
1-Year Membership Lessons
When you are entering into your lesson area, the beginner lessons are in the top, and the difficult ones are in the bottom. Core Lessons on the top, followed by routines and challenges. However, I recommend you to chose a practice plan, and do your best to stick to that program. If you struggle, you should consider following an easier practice plan.
Read more about Practice Plans and How to get started
2. How to Get Good Advice
- Your name, age, and main motivation.
- A link where I can see or hear you playing any of my exercises from my website. (Unlisted youtube link, mp3 file, etc.) If you are not a member yet, please chose a lesson from my Youtube Channel. Play the entire exercise from the beginning to the end with a steady beat and let me know how long time did it take you to complete the lesson. If the recording is about improvisation, please improvise at least for 1 minute (with a steady beat).
- How much time do you have for practice?
- Are you flexible, or is there anything on the website that you don’t want to practice? (Jazz, Blues, Contemporary Music, Latin?)
- Do you follow any of my practice routines already? Are you working on the additional exercises too?
- What lessons have you already completed or are still working on?
- What is your next short-term goal? Is it ok if I tell you that you should change that goal?:) Most of the time you think that your problem will be solved if you learn more about theory, scales, and licks, but then I come and tell you that all you have to do first is to keep the rhythm.
Read more about: Working Together – Communication and miscommunication
Membership Related Questions:
Q: I am interested in Blues and Jazz, where should I start?
A: Start right here: Blues Practice Plan
Q: What kind of feedback do you provide?
It varies from students to students, but generally, this is how it works:
Once I get all the necessary information from you, I will review your video, tell you (via email) what was good, and what could be better. You will get a new homework from me and where I will ask you to work on one or two new lessons.
Q: Is there a difference in content between 6-month and 1-year membership?
A: Not at the moment. However, the plan is that the 1-year members will get exclusive access to really advanced lessons too in the future.
Q: If I purchase a monthly subscription and then after 1 month decide to sign up for full membership, would you be able to give the 1-month credit to be used towards the 12-month subscription?
A: Yes. No problem.
Q: Can I download the videos?
A: Only the PDF and MP3 files.
Q: Do I get access to your YouTube lessons and YouTube sheet music too?
You will get access to some of the YouTube lessons. These are the ones that are included in the Sound of Emotion curriculum too: Sound of Emotions Lessons (YouTube Playlist)
Q: What is the difference between your YouTube Channel and the Sound of Emotions site?
soundofemotions.com – contains the lessons I do with my private students for many many years now. From absolute beginner to high intermediate level. My main purpose here is to teach you how to express your emotions through music. You must know that I will never add a random lesson just because it is fun. I want to be sure that you are ready for the next step. I don’t want you to worry about what to practice after you are done with a lesson. It has to be simple: if you don’t understand what is going on… go back to the previous lesson. If you mastered a lesson, great, move to the next lesson.
David Magyel YouTube Channel – Random Jazz-, Blues and Pop Piano Lessons. Most of the time advanced stuff. I like to keep it random because that way I can test new concepts. Based on your reaction I can decide if the lesson is good enough to add to my sound of emotions curriculum too.
Q: Do you talk/explain things in your videos?
I explain music with music. I want you to feel and experience music from day 1. There is a way to show and teach everything through music. I have been living in different countries, and many of my students were not able to speak and understand English, therefore I had to create a completely new system of learning piano, (reading and improvising) just by showing everything. This is what my YouTube channel is about too and this is why I can have members on the Sound of Emotions site who do not speak English. If the explanation is unavoidable, it could be found in the description under the video lessons or on the sheet music.
Payment Related Questions:
Q: Can I choose to pay in USD instead of Euro?
A: Yes. The payment goes through PayPal, and before you would pay, PayPal will convert the price to US Dollar.
Q: Is there another way to pay than PayPal?
A: We use PayPal as a payment provider, but you don’t need to top up your PayPal account in advance. Just simply select the bank/debit/credit card option.
If you are not sure about:
– which membership you should sign up for,
– if this piano course is going to suit you or not,
– how this piano course works,
– what you will get for your money,
contact me before you would sign up.
As this is a premium subscription educational site with exclusive content, there are no refunds for partial months or pro-rated service (Terms of Sevice)
5. How to Cancel Recurring Payment
- Log into your PayPal account
- Click the Profile next to “Log out” and select Profile and settings.
- Click My money.
- Click Update beside “Preapproved Payments.”
- Select the payment you’d like to cancel, then click Cancel.
It might look a bit different when you log in to your PayPal account, but I believe that the Preapproved Payments is something that is easily accessible. However, if you struggle to find that, let me know, and I will help you to cancel your recurring membership/recurring payment.
6. Future Lessons and plans
My plan was to reach 300 video lessons until the end of the year, but now we are already at Lesson 312!
Next Challenge: 400 Lessons (Deadline 31.12.2018)
My primary goal at the moment is to create a beginner piano course that fits all type of beginners:
- Absolute beginners who want to learn the basics (sight reading, improvisation, chords)
- Experienced beginners who want to learn more about scales, chords, jazz-blues Improvisation
- Jazz Beginners who want to dig even deeper, be able to improvise over jazz standards, playing in a band, etc.
I am 99% done with the absolute & experienced beginner practice plans, but time to time I will revisit some of the beginner lessons too and create some additional exercises. The next period I will work on the jazz beginner practice plan and I will expend it with at least 50 new lessons.
Since I keep making the beginner membership more and more complex, the difference between the beginner and intermediate membership is very small at the moment. Most of the experienced beginner lessons are also added to the monthly intermediate membership. This is a temporary solution until I am done with jazz beginner lessons. After that, I will start to remake the intermediate membership and make it 5x more difficult as it is now.